Western Wellington Exploration

 

Thursday 18 October 2012

I had never been beyond White Timber Mountain and as the area was mooted as part of a multi-day walk thought  I would check out what the country at the western end of the Wellington area was like.   I had driven up Judds Creek Road had a look about and walked part way along and old access path towards mount Lloyd.  While in the area I thought I would attempt up a few geocaches on the way home.

 

Ancestral Glen

I was taken by the nostalgia with this cache, so, OldSaint, I really was keen to find this one at Glen Huon.   I have mainly gone through the area on way to a bushwalk and one of the places visited is Woolleys Tarn and it nice to think there is a connection.  I always understood the tarn was named after a local who was keen fisherman.

Anyway when i (Peter only on this day) arrived there were a couple of kids whose mothers I think watched over them a bit closer when they saw a somewhat dishevelled fellow walking past looking at a GPS.  The clue helped a lot but I was searching a little in the wrong  spot and when I did get it and spotted a suspect item I was still a bit puzzled.  You see I had the container in my hand and was gently tugging it to retrieve what I thought must be on the other end.  Eventually I realised the tiny thing my hand was covering was it.

The log by the way is just about coming to an end.

City Of Hull

Pulled up and GPS directed behind a building to a large object and soon the small one was located.

 

Ode to an Oak

Followed the well worn pad to the really neat natural hiding hole.  Notes some nice Stackhousia in flower.

Stackhousia

The Tassie Bermuda Triangle

I approached from Judbury but unfortunately I had the GPS set for “Ancestral Glen” at Glen Huon and the car navigator for Bermuda.  My mind was thinking that the GPS was closest and I ignored the navigator.  After finding Ancestral Glen I realised that Bermuda was back along the road a couple of kilometres and was almost about not to bother, but then it wasn't really far to drive so off I went.  On arrival the name for the cache became obvious and I soon had it.
As I drove away I felt a cold spot on my leg and felt what I assumed was a fat filled leech, but on hopping out of the car it turned out just a slug; what a relief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off to the Thumbs

Myrtle Forest

Swimming Hole